If you work in Premiere and you replace a clip selection with After Effects composition, that composition will not have audio. This might be an issue, especially if you are adding a transition with sound effects.
Cause of the problem:
The "replace with After Effects composition" feature in Premiere replaces only the video, but not the audio clips in Premiere's timeline. That way, the audio from After Effects composition will not be in your Premiere timeline.
We yet do not know the reason why Premiere behaves like this. Yet we still don't have a fix for this problem, as this is an issue inside the Premiere and the Dynamic Link. We are not sure if we can do anything about it.
Anyway, whether it's a bug or a feature in Premiere, here are the workarounds we know about so far:
Workaround 1: Overwrite the composition in Premiere
- Drag the composition (which was imported from After Effects) from the Project panel on the one in your timeline. In other words - overwrite the composition you have in your timeline with the same composition from Project panel.
You may still not hear the audio even after you perform this workaround (It looks like a bug of Dynamic Link in Premiere or After effects). If this happens, try following these steps:
- Go back to the composition in After Effects
- adjust the Audio Levels of the transition by 1 decibel (you can reveal Levels property by selecting the layer and pressing "L" key).
- Go back to Premiere and perform the workaround again (drag the composition to your timeline).
- If you still do not see the audio, adjust the levels in After Effects once again.
- After doing the steps above, you should be able to hear the audio.
Workaround 2: Copy & Paste the sounds from After Effects to Premiere
- in After Effects, select the sound effects layer/s inside the transition composition and copy it (press Control+C / Command+C)
- in Premiere, paste it (press Control+V / Command+V) and drag it to the position of the transition in the timeline
If you know about a better workaround or a solution, we would be very grateful if you could let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org